From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub passwords - how do I limit OS selection?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:57:29
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On 7/30/06, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman <buanzo@××××××××××.ar> wrote:
4 >> Hash: SHA1
5 >>
6 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
7 >> > NOTE: I currently do this be editing the grub file itself but I'm
8 >> > looking for something more sophisticated since I'd like my wife to be
9 >> > able to boot Windows but not my son.
10 >>
11 >> Have windows users, then. Let your son boot it, but not use it.
15 > Arturo,
16 > Hi. Thanks for the response. Not an acceptable strategy. My son is
17 > a Windows user for playing games. I do not want him using Windows when
18 > he chooses since the gaming gets in the way of school, as it should
19 > for any healthy 14 year old boy. ;-)
20 >
21 > What I really want is when the machine turns on he gets Linux
22 > unless myself or my wife grants him access to Windows.
23 >
24 > Thanks,
25 > Mark
26 Hi Mark,
27 Check the official gentoo security guide (docs section).
28 ...
29 2.b. Password protecting GRUB
30
31 GRUB supports two different ways of adding password protection to your
32 boot loader. The first uses plain text, while the latter uses md5+salt
33 encryption.
34 ...
35 Haven't used it though.
36 HTH.Rumen