From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: msondow@×××××.org
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kaspersky Rescue Disk
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:19:57
1 On Tuesday 12 Feb 2013 19:01:19 Michael Sondow wrote:
2 > Hi, Mick. Thanks for replying.
3 >
4 > You wrote:
5 > > Check and remove the updates file that KRD creates on your WinXP
6 > > filesystem. After the scan is completed this is no longer needed and
7 > > takes up space.
8 >
9 > The KRD added a \Kaspersky Rescue Disk\ directory to C: on my hard drive
10 > that contains 58 subdirectories with 188Mb in over 100 different files.
11 > Can I delete the entire Kaspersky Rescue Disk directory after doingh a
12 > scan and rebooting into Windows?? If not, which subdirectories or files
13 > should I delete?
14
15 Once you finish with scanning the WinXP for viruses then then definitions are
16 no longer needed. If you scan it again in the future using KRD, then these
17 will be downloaded afresh.
20 > > Yes, you can add any applications you see fit, but the LiveCD/USB image
21 > > will grow as a result.
22 >
23 > There'd be no problem there, since I have around 3.5Gb free space on the
24 > flash drive. However, I've noticed that KRD doesn't save anything. None of
25 > my bookmarks or configuration changes remain when I re-boot into the KRD
26 > flash drive. Also, the /portage/ folders are empty and the <emerge>
27 > command is missing in BASH, and I believe these are necessary for adding
28 > applications (?).
29
30 The KRD image was created for a particular purpose. It is not meant to be a
31 permanent Linux installation with the ability to update itself and any
32 applications it may include.
35 > The only things I've been able to save are text and htm files, because KRD
36 > puts them into folders outside the ISO and op sys folders.
37
38 That's as intended by its creators.
41 > Also, I saw a scrolling line during the KRD flash drive boot that says
42 > something like "liveusb is read-only". Maybe it's set up so that you can't
43 > change or add anything?
44
45 Yes, this is correct. A live CD/USB ISO image is of course read only.
48 > Any ideas on how I go about adding to the ISO, or to the op sys? For
49 > example, can I somehow change the "read only" status to rw? And would I
50 > have to change any of the boot files, like grub.exe, ldlinux.sys, and
51 > syslinux.cfg?
52
53 You can't change the ISO as is. You have to follow the many examples in
54 Google for unpacking it, making your changes and then re-packaging a new ISO
55 image which includes your changes.
58 > What do you think about the idea of re-formatting the flash drive and
59 > re-installing the Kaspersky rescueusb.iso using UNetbootin or another of
60 > the live USB installation programs that allow you to add persistence?
61 > Would that be a solution? Would KRD still function if I did that?
62
63 From what I know there are problems trying to use a design intended to be used
64 as a LiveCD/USB in place of a permanent installation. The two are not the
65 same in design or execution.
68 > > . . . but if you want to install it permanently on the hard disk, you
69 > > would be better off doing a proper installation by following the Gentoo
70 > > Guide.
71 >
72 > I think I'd rather keep WindowsXP on the hard drive and run a Linux distro
73 > like Gentoo from a USB flash drive. That has the advantage of keeping me
74 > operational if my hard drive becomes infected or otherwise unoperational.
75 > (Every one of my previous laptops has gone kaput because of hard drive
76 > failures.)
77
78 That's why there are a myriad tools to run back ups of your critical data.
81 > Maybe I'm just making trouble for myself. Since these 4Gb flash drives are
82 > now so cheap, perhaps the best thing to do is leave KRD the way it is and
83 > use another flash drive for a fully-functioning Linux distro. It seems a
84 > shame, though, not putting Gentoo on the KRD to better use.
85
86 Running an OS from a USB is going to be slow. Even on a fast USB (unless
87 we're talking about USB3 which is faster). I suggest you consider defragging
88 WinXP, shrinking its partition and creating new partitions to install Linux
89 on.
92 > Thanks for the URL. Trouble is, it's for building a live disk with Linux,
93 > and I've only got Windows on my hard drive.
94
95 There is the alternative of installing VirtualBox on your WinXP and then
96 installing Linux in that. In this way you do not need to re-partition your
97 hard drive and you can always save the VM image to a USB for backup purposes.
98
99 PS. Have a look in the Knoppix forums and FAQs which explain with a LiveCD is
100 not designed to be used as a permanent installation.
103 Regards,
104 Mick