From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Self-signed certificate & Apache
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 14:42:55
1 On 03/04/2014 16:24, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > Almost there now...
5 >
6 > After receiving help from Mick K and the list (thanks again!) I've now some
7 > idea of what I'm doing.
8 >
9 > I've installed OwnCloud to be served over SSL. I've followed the instructions
10 > here[1] to create a self-signed certificate, which is in two files: cloud.crt
11 > and cloud.key. I put both of those under /etc/apache2/private. I ignored the
12 > vague references to intermediate files. The command I gave was:
13 >
14 > # openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 365 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout cloud.key -out
15 > cloud.crt
16 >
17 > Now when I start Apache I get this warning, twice:
18 >
19 > RSA server certificate is a CA certificate (BasicConstraints: CA == TRUE !?)
20 >
21 > Is this to be expected, or is anyone visiting (none expected though) likely to
22 > think I'm masquerading as a certification authority?
23 >
24 > [1] http://www.sslshopper.com/article-how-to-create-and-install-an-apache-self-signed-certificate.html
28 What you've done works but you didn't do it the way Apache thinks these
29 things work. You created a signing certs that is to be used to sign
30 other certs, but instead used it as your SSL cert. Apache thinks this is
31 unusual enough to warrant a log entry.
32
33 To be truthful you don't want to do it that way if only because it's
34 contrary to what other pros except you to have done.
35
36 Third comment in this blog post gives excellent advice on how to do it
37 better:
38
39 http://www.turnkeylinux.org/forum/support/20121228/rsa-server-certificate-ca-certificate-error
42 Alan McKinnon