From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE-4 multi-monitor + fullscreen applications
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:42:09
1 Am 17.11.2010 23:26, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 00:08 on Thursday 18 November 2010, Florian
3 > Philipp did opine thusly:
4 >
5 >> Hi list!
6 >>
7 >> Today, KDE nearly killed a presentation I held and now I want to
8 >> understand what's going on:
9 >>
10 >> Following setup: One laptop, two outputs (internal display + projector).
11 >>
12 >> Now I configure KDE to expand the desktop on both (instead of simple
13 >> cloning). So far, so good.
14 >
15 > For anyone to help at all, we'll need to know your hardware and video drivers,
16 > plus versions in use of X.org and it's drivers, plus relevant config stuff.
17 >
18 > Everything else is highly configurable and subject to the whim of driver
19 > writers and the user. And there's always nVidia's stance to be taken into
20 > account as well
23 Ah, right, forgot about that. Intel GMA HD graphics (i915 driver),
24 x11-base/xorg-server-1.8.2 (USE="udev -hal") and x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.8
25
26 No xorg.conf. Tried it with composite effects off and on.
27
28 KDE is on version 4.4.5 and some packages 4.4.7 (current stable).
31 >> First question: How does KDE choose on which output the "standard"
32 >> desktop ends up and which gets the second set of desktop background +
33 >> plasma widgets? It seems like the one with the higher resolution is
34 >> standard and on a draw, it is the right-most. Is that correct? Can it be
35 >> configured?
36 >>
37 >> Now that I have both desktops, I open Acroread or Okular and start the
38 >> fullscreen/presentation mode. What happens is that the presentation is
39 >> deterministically opened on one of the displays. What I don't understand
40 >> is how it chooses which one it uses?
41 >>
42 >> It doesn't depend on the placement of the window (although other
43 >> applications like Flash in Firefox, MPlayer, Kaffeine and Gwenview do).
44 >> It doesn't always open on the secondary or standard desktop (as
45 >> specified above). It rather seems like it always opens on the one with
46 >> the higher resolution and if both are equal, it opens on the left-most.
47 >>
48 >> So, what happened when I tried to hold my presentation? The projector
49 >> had a low resolution (1024x768) and therefore neither Acroread nor
50 >> Okular showed on fullscreen on the projector. None of my previous tests
51 >> showed that problem since I used two displays with equal resolution.
52 >> Great fun! In the end, I cloned the output and thereby gave Okular no
53 >> other choice. (Lucky me that I didn't any additional notes or anything
54 >> on the other display ...)
55 >>
56 >> What can I do to influence this behavior?
57 >>
58 >> Edit: I just noticed that both applications have settings for this.
59 >> However, they are ignored and the setting in Acroread is even reset to
60 >> "Current display" each time I close the settings dialog! What is going
61 >> on here?
62 >>
63 >> Thanks in advance!
64 >> Florian Philipp