From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: A couple questions related to fbsplash
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 03:31:39
1 On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 4:45 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 30/05/12 09:42, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> In all my years of Gentoo I've never set up fbsplash and fbcondecor,
5 >> so I finally did so on my old laptop. It all worked, pretty easy to
6 >> set up -- however, there are 2 things I have questions about:
7 >>
8 >> 1) I see much of OpenRC's colorful output before the fbsplash kicks
9 >> in. Is there any trick to prevent that stuff from showing and/or
10 >> making the splash screen show up earlier?
13 > Yes.  Compile the KMS driver in-kernel rather than as a module.
14
15 Thanks, that fixed it. I saw my OpenRC through "Waiting for uevents to
16 be processed" before, so that makes perfect sense now. Radeon starts
17 in dmesg at 0.3 seconds instead of 2.8 seconds. :)
18
19 I see Tux for a microsecond, then the splash screen appears and
20 flashes black three times before stabilizing. I don't think it is the
21 display changing modes (the backlight stays on), it just looks like
22 it's switching between blank screen and back to showing the graphics.
23 It happens at the very beginning of the splash, before root is
24 remounted and the progress bar is moving. I'm using dracut's gensplash
25 module to generate the initrd, maybe it's doing something funny.
26
27 >> 2) With the fbsplash enabled, xdm (slim) starts in the background. I
28 >> have to alt-7 to see the graphical login screen. xdm starts at default
29 >> runlevel. With splash disabled, xdm (slim) starts in the foreground.
30 >> Why is that?
33 > Sounds like a bug.  I use KDM and it switches to console 7 automatically.
34
35 I just tried plain xdm as well as slim and both wind up in the
36 background when splash is enabled. Weird.
37
38 What specifically happens is: I see the graphical login screen for a
39 split second, then it changes back to tty1, I briefly see the last
40 parts of OpenRC finishing and then the console login prompt. alt-7
41 will take me back to the graphical login screen and it works normally
42 once I'm there.
43
44 I will keep hunting.