From: lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's broken with portage now?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:27:38
1 On Monday 24 April 2006 05:01 am, Mick wrote:
2 > On 23/04/06, Glenn Enright <elinar@×××××××.nz> wrote:
3 > > On Monday 24 April 2006 9:11 am, Mick wrote:
4 > > > If I were to delete something it has to be the lot. Which directory
5 > > > am I supposed to rm?
6 > >
7 > > Before you do that try emerge metadata or emerge sync
8 >
9 > Thanks guys. Emerge metadata creates multiple errors (here's an extract):
10 > =========================
11 > Failed cache update: dev-libs/gmime-2.1.14-r1 "Corruption detected
12 > when reading key 'gmime-2.1.14-r1': dictionary update sequence element
13 > #0 has length 1; 2 is required"
14 >
15 > Failed cache update: dev-libs/gmime-2.1.9-r3 "Corruption detected when
16 > reading key 'gmime-2.1.9-r3': dictionary update sequence element #0
17 > has length 1; 2 is required"
18 > =========================
19 >
20 > What now? Shall I delete /var/cache/edb/dep/usr/portage, or some
21 > other file/directory too?
22
23 Because I said I think it might (major emphasis on might) help is no reason to
24 start deleting things. DO NOT delete anything without knowing what you're
25 doing. I just said I thought it might force a rebuild-from-scratch of the
26 cache, however, I have really no idea. If I built the software, that's
27 what'd happen, but I didn't so that's where it is. I said it mainly in hopes
28 that it might help someone more knowledgeable come to a real solution.
29
30 If you still want to delete it, just let me ask you one thing: is this a toy,
31 or a critical machine? Is this your linux box that works as a learning
32 environment, or is this thing really part of a system that needs to be on?
33 If it's just your playground, back everything important (of YOUR data, not OS
34 settings and crap like that) to another computer and delete to your hearts
35 content. You will most likely learn something. If you're like me, and
36 really depend on the system, don't try such a step.