From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound not sounding
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:14:39
1 On Wednesday, 23 March 2022 17:00:44 GMT Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 9:50 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
3 wrote:
4
5 > > The USB sound dongle on this workstation has stopped working, but only for
6 > > me. The system settings Audio setup window detects it but no sound is
7 > > heard (I nearly said none appears :) . It worked a week ago, and it still
8 > > works if I log in as a new user. Windows 10 has no trouble with it
9 > > either. Nothing has changed in the kernel setup, and all the right
10 > > modules are loaded.
11
12 > Please provide info about your setup such as desktop environment and
13 > how you set up your sound system. ALSA? pulseaudio? Something else?
14
15 The machine is ~amd64 running Plasma. I log in via SDDM, but even if, instead,
16 I log in first and then startx I still get no sound. I haven't touched ALSA;
17 it's whatever Plasma wanted to support its audio process.
18
19 What floors me is that two users on the same machine get different results.
22 Regards,
23 Peter.