From: "de Almeida
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] System.map not found - unable to check symbols
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 18:48:29
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Glenn Enright [mailto:elinar@×××××××.nz]
3 > Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 7:58 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System.map not found - unable to check
6 symbols
7 >
8 > > > > > > System.map not found - unable to check symbols.
9 > > > > > > which doesn't seem to cause problems during/after booting
10 (??).
11 > > > > > >
12 > > > > > > I did a manual kernel compilation
13 > > > > >
14 > > > > > To do this, I always do:
15 > > > > >
16 > > > > > make all modules_install install
17 > > > > >
18 > > > > > This will do all the necessary steps.
19 > > > >
20 > > > > I tried the make all option and it added a /boot -> .
21 > > > > Inside /boot. Also, a menu.lst file was created inside
22 /boot/grub
23 > > > > that points to grub.conf. Other than that there no
24 changes/additions
25 > > > > we made.
26 > > >
27 > > > 'make all' is supposed to compile the kernel, 'make
28 modules_install'
29 > > > will compile the kernel modules, 'make install' will install the
30 > kernel
31 > > > and 'make all modules_install install' will do all three of those
32 > things.
33 > >
34 > > I tried multiple times, different ways installing the kernel
35 (vanilla
36 > > sources) and reinstalling grub. Still the same message of
37 "System.map
38 > > not found" during booting.
39 > >
40 > > > > I rebooted and had the same problem occurring:
41 > > > >
42 > > > > System.map not found -- unable to check symbols
43 > > >
44 > > > Could you provide the output of:
45 > > >
46 > > > # df -h | grep boot
47 > > > # ls -l /boot
48 > >
49 > > Nothing from the previous commands since /boot is not mounted (it is
50 no
51 > > in fstab as suggested by the install handbook)
52 > >
53 > > > # uname -r
54 > >
55 > > 2.6.15.1
58 > Where is the message comming from? do you get it during kernel load or
59 > once
60 > the initscripts with the green stars beside them start doing their
61 thing?
62
63 Yes after the green starts. The actual message scrolls up tagged with a
64 yellow asterisk
65
66 > I'm
67 > guessing from the OP that you have x86 hardware?
68
69 Yes I have x86
72 > 1) If its the kernel load (easier to check) I suggest the following.
73 As
74 > root
75 > user...
76 > - make sure the boot partition is mounted run 'mount /boot'
77 > - make sure the /usr/src/linux link is pointing to the kernel you want
79 > boot
80 > from
81 > - cd /usr/src/linux
82 > - run 'make clean' (this will essentially deletes all the compiled
83 stuff
84 > except for your config file, in other words cleans up the tree :)
85 > - run 'make all modules_install install'
86 > - have a look in /boot to make sure the installer created the
87 appropriate
88 > link 'System.map' to the version it just installed. use 'ls -l' to see
89 > this
90 > - now try a reboot making sure you use >> the same kernel you just
91 built
92 > <<
93 > do you still get the message? If so you may need to alter the kernel
94 > config
95 > and see if that makes any difference, or you might like to try a
96 different
97 > kernel version.
98 >
99 > 2) If its happening while the initscripts load, or at some other time
100 > after
101 > kernel boot, then its a gentoo specific issue and you need to work
102 through
103 > those scripts somehow to isolate the cause.
104 >
105 > --
106 > Thus spake the master programmer:
107 > "After three days without programming, life becomes
108 meaningless."
109 > -- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"
112 Thanks,
115 Valmor
118 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list