From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SMR drives (WAS: cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not)
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 21:53:17
1 Am Mon, Aug 02, 2021 at 01:38:31PM +0800 schrieb William Kenworthy:
2
3 > > Yup. Today I did my (not so) weekly backup and rsynced the repo to the new
4 > > drive. After that I wanted to compare performance of my old 3 TB drive and
5 > > the new SMR one by deleting a snapshot from the repo on each drive. But Borg
6 > > objected on the second deletion, because “the cache was newer”. But that’s
7 > > okay. I actually like this, as this will prevent me from chaning two repos
8 > > in parallel which would make them incompatible.
9 > >
10 > Keep in  mind that both repos have the same ID - you should also rsync
11 > the cache and security directories as well as they are now out of sync
12 > (hence the warning).
13
14 That thought crossed my mind recently but I was unsure how to store the
15 cache. But since the repo is a monolith, it should suffice to rsync
16 the whole cache directory to the backup drive (or do it as a tar).
17
18 The only problem is the temporal sequence:
19 1. Host A runs borg and gets a current cache.
20 2. Host B runs borg on the same repo and gets a current cache.
21 2a. Host A now has an outdated cache.
22
23 Usually, Host B uses Host A via ssh as remote location of the repository.
24 So I could simply run a borg command on Host A to update the cache somehow.
25
26 > Be very careful on how you do this - you are one step away from losing the
27 > while repo if the cache gets out of sync.  The docs warn against rsyncing
28 > two repos and then using them at the same time for a good reason.
29
30 I won’t use them at the same time. It will always be one direction:
31 Hosts --[borg]--> Main backup drive --[rsync]--> secondary backup drive
34 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
35 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
36
37 My concience is clean! After all, I’ve never used it.