From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pm-suspend replacement?
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 17:47:36
1 Hello, tastytea.
2
3 On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 22:50:30 +0200, tastytea wrote:
4 > On 2021-09-19 20:24+0000 Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5
6 > > […]
7 > > > Or maybe I'll try and find pm-suspend again on the web. Maybe it
8 > > > had some feature (or bug workaround) which the more modern packages
9 > > > are lacking.
10
11 > > That's just what I did. A web search for pm-utils found it easily
12 > > enough. pm-suspend works again, and I'm a happy chappy - almost. Why
13 > > was pm-utils taken off of portage in the first place? Was there some
14 > > sort of security problem, or was it just because it hadn't been
15 > > updated in a fair while (since 2013, I think)?
16
17 > It was removed because upstream abandoned it. It was announced in
18 > <https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2020-04-14-elogind-default.html>
19 > which references <https://bugs.gentoo.org/659616>.
20
21 It was indeed. I think I missed it because "pm-utils" didn't ring any
22 alarm bells whereas "pm-suspend" would have done.
23
24 > > That's another feature missing from portage - a systematic way of
25 > > discovering why a package has been removed.
26
27 > `eselect news read all | less` is sometimes helpful. 😄
28
29 Thanks!
30
31 > --