From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:28:27
1 econti wrote:
2 > Hi everybody, this is my first post on the list.
3 >
4 > Well, I'm running a 2.6.15-gentoo-r7 2006.0 on a AMD64 machine.
5 >
6 > Now I'd like to make a world upgrade. I know that I should run the
7 > following commands:
8 >
9 > emerge --sync
10 > emerge --update --deep --newuse world
11 > emerge --depclean
12 > revdep-rebuild
13 >
14 > A little question: how long does it take to complete the upgrade?
15 > (sure, it depends on the installed software, but please give me an
16 > approximation)
17 >
18 > Thank you
19 >
20 > emilio
23 You may want to add a -p behind that --depclean at first. Just to make
24 sure it doesn't remove something you want to keep. I usually even put a
25 -p on the end of revdep-rebuild just to be safe. Mine always wants to
26 rebuild gcc when it doesn't need it. It's a known "feature". ;-)
27
28 As for the time it takes, it depends on what all packages have been
29 updated. If it has been a while, then it will take a while to do them
30 all. If there has been a major upgrade to gcc, then it will certainly
31 take a while.
32
33 Dale
34