From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Corruption in reiserfs partition
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 01:58:59
1 On Sonntag, 9. September 2007, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 > On 9/8/07, Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
5 > > 2) Do you think I should just use the computer, after reemerging the
6 > >
7 > > > packages that provide the corrupted files?
8 > >
9 > > yes
10 >
11 > Do you think that there is any plausible chance that using the partition
12 > might cause further damage?
13
14 if there isn't a hardware problem - very probably not. I have had very good
15 experiences with reiserfsck (for 3.6) and fsck.reiser4 (with reiser4). If the
16 fs got fixed, it is fixed.
17 If the disk is damaged, than reinstalling from scratch won't help you anyway.
18
19 > > ln -s busybox rm
20 >
21 > Gentoo should have an automated way to do this. For me, it looks like there
22 > should be an eselect option for "activating" busybox.
23
24 no, it shouldn't. I tried it a few weeks ago - replaced most of /bin with
25 symlinks to busybox. Emerging stuff still worked - but a handfull of
26 init-scripts stopped working in the worst way - they just hung after spitting
27 out some error messages. So using busybox should be something that is hard to
28 do - to prevent unsuspecting users from problems. In case of emergency you
29 can always boot into busybox with the right kernel boot parameter.
33 > > I hope you learned your lessons!
34 > >
35 > > Lesson 1: /home on its own partition.
36 >
37 > I read somewhere that most of the time when a disk fails it will take all
38 > of its partitions with it, so putting /home is its own partition does not
39 > help.
40
41 if your fs gets damaged for some reason or another, it is good, when the
42 damage does not spread to your private data. The OS can be easily
43 reinstalled. Several years of intensively collected nude pictures not.
44
45 A different partition for /home prevents some bad stuff from happening. It is
46 a good thing!
47
48 For example my /var damage some weeks ago. It was contained to /var
49 because /var was the partition the system was writing to, when the sata cable
50 came loose. If everything would have been on one partition I might have lost
51 my ~/Mail dir - with hundred thousand+ mails ... or my ~/text dir, which
52 contains everything I write...
55 > Perhaps that person was wrong... at least in my case, I clearly had a
56 > logical failure in the partition, with no physical failure in the disk, so
57 > if I had multiple partitions, maybe only one would have problems.
58
59 it is very probably only one would have had the problems.
62 > > Lesson 2: backups.
63 >
64 > Hehe. Yes I know. Fortunately it seems I was very lucky this time...
65
66 a little hint: ebay. Used dlt 35/70 drive. Pretty cheap and robust. use tar
67 for backup, but use mbuffer to puffer or you will never backup/restore with
68 full speed and the drive suffers.
71 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list