From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virtualization where to go from VMWare-Server-1?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:55:38
1 On 08/27/2010 12:58 AM, Konstantinos Agouros wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am currently running a guest with VMware-Server-1. However the modules
5 > needed for that on the host are no longer supported and I am stuck with 2.6.31
6 > for the moment.
7 > So I am thinking of alternatives. My requirements:
8 >
9 > It should only need as much RAM on the host as needed (so XEN with static
10 > assignment is out)
11 >
12 > It should run headless (I don't want a window on the desktop but be able
13 > get console access when needed).
14 >
15 > VMWare import/compatibility would be nice but is not a must have.
16 >
17 > I use VirtualBox on a Mac but can it run headless? Any other proposals?
18
19 VBox runs great headless. I start three VMs at boot time, all over VRDP.
20 Highly recommended. You can migrate it to other systems if you want, too.