From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Council vs Umbrella Corp ?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 23:38:46
1 On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 05:20:00PM -0400, james wrote:
2 > > The functions being discussed in this thread belong to the
3 > > trustees (the board of directors for the foundation) [1]. Thhey are
4 > > definitely not part of the council's skill set [2].
5 >
6 > The Gentoo social contract is fine; as long as folks do not take and
7 > expanded interpretation of those tenets. That is expansive
8 > interpretation, going beyond what is clearly stated, is a slippery
9 > slope. Too often that is the exact problem. I'd suggest a tight,
10 > conservative interpretation of the Gentoo Social Contract. If not
11 > clearly delineated, do not expand it's interpretation.
12
13 I'm a little lost here on why you brought in the social contract. Glep
14 39 is where the functions of the council are defined, and the bylaws
15 define the functions of the foundation/trustees. [1] [2]
16
17 > > mgorny and others are advocating disbanding the Gentoo foundation
18 > > and transfering all of Gentoo's assets to an organization such as the Software
19 > > Freedom Conservancy [3] and allowing the council to exist as it currently does.
20 >
21 > The post, at first read, he makes in sound as if "Gentoo" is in some
22 > sort of trouble. Now that we clearly know, Gentoo is currently
23 > sufficiently funded, WE should move very slowly. Caveat Emptor.
24
25 Agreed. The funding is fine (see Rich0's message). The issue was that
26 the foundation was behind in its tax filing. That is now resolved as
27 well (see rich0's message).
28
29 > > As a member of the council, I'll be the first to say I don't know
30 > > anything about trustee functions. For me, the question is, do we want to
31 > > control our own destiny as an organization or do we want to have another
32 > > organization control it in some way? To be honest, I do not have that
33 > > answer because I don't know how much control an umbrella organization
34 > > would try to exert, and since they would control our purse strings, I
35 > > don't know what the scope of control they would be able to exert is.
36 >
37 > Amen! So let us flush out the clear roles and authorities, BEFORE we
38 > make any changes. Thank you for your clear, precise focus, as folks,
39 > including myself, tend to get very excited when is it presented that
40 > 'gentoo is in trouble'. I've been here since 2002, after selling a large
41 > ISP (CFTnet) in 1999. Integrity is everything, in any organization. ymmv.
42
43 Now I'm going to remove my council hat so to speak and give you my
44 personal opinion. To be honest, I feel like some people have generated a
45 lot of unnecessary drama between the council and trustees. They serve
46 completely different functions and should be able to co-exist fine.
47
48 William
49
50 [1] https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0039.html