From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Expect a ~15% average slowdown if you use an Intel processor
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 00:51:45
1 On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 8:39 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 04/01/18 18:18, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >
5 >> For variant 1 the only known vulnerability is BPF which probably
6 >> next to nobody uses
9 > I had to enable various BPF settings in the kernel because systemd
10 > wouldn't shut up about it. It prints warning messages during boot that the
11 > system doesn't support BPF. After enabling it, systemd was happy and
12 > stopped barking at me.
15 The vulnerability specifically mentions EBPF and JIT so I'd say its
16 CONFIG_HAVE_EBPF_JIT, but there's also CONFIG_BPF_JIT.
17
18 I notice EBPF_JIT is =y in my .config, grepping the sysctl -a output for
19 bpf only returns;
20 kernel.unprivileged_bpf_disabled = 0
21 And
22 https://github.com/linuxkit/linuxkit/commit/720fb219cea1fea99c2bba1d01f771eb43b2000b
23 "On 4.9.x and 4.14.x kernels ebpf verifier bugs allow ebpf programs to
24 access (read/write) random memory. Setting
25 kernel.unprivileged_bpf_disabled=1 mitigates this somewhat until it is
26 fixed upstream."