From: Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] JMicron confusion
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 16:09:21
1 On 9/30/06, Duane Griffin <duaneg@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 29/09/06, Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I'm looking at upgrading to a Core 2 Duo system, and looking at the
4 > > Asus P5B series of motherboards. I've found a couple forum posts
5 > > (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-494387-highlight-p965.html and
6 > > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-498160-highlight-p965.html) that
7 > > seem to indicate troubles with JMicron support in kernels. Is this
8 > > something I should be concerned about? The forum discussions seem to
9 > > indicate that the problem is unresolved, indicating to me that I
10 > > should look elsewhere for motherboards.
11 >
12 > I'm running gentoo on exactly this setup. There was some trouble with
13 > support for the controller prior to 2.6.18, however it all works just
14 > fine if you use the "all-generic-ide irqpoll" boot parameters.
15 >
16 > Another issue you might run into is getting the onboard RTL8168
17 > ethernet controller working. There is no in-kernel driver for this
18 > thing. I managed to get the vendor-supplied driver compiling, but
19 > isn't working correctly for me (it seems to be transmitting packets
20 > fine but not receiving anything). I've not looked into it much since
21 > there seems to be in-kernel support coming soon and I've got another
22 > ethernet controller card to use in the meantime. There are also lots
23 > of reports from people getting it working successfully, so it may just
24 > be something stupid I'm doing.
25
26 People on the forums claim they're using the in-kernel Realtek 8169
27 drivers, have you tried that?
28
29 (sorry for all the noise, but the thought of upgrading my system and
30 the thought of not being able to intsall Gentoo fills my heart with
31 dread. ;)
34 Ryan W Sims
35
36 () ascii ribbon