From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] try gentoo again?....LIVE version device support?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 16:09:59
1 On 5/10/06, ted leslie <tleslie@×××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Feed up with a few other distros, i am giving GENTOO another look.
4 > I tried it when it first came out and had .. hmmm. .... a bit of trouble.
5 > I assume things are alot more refined now.
6 >
7 > I am looking for a distro to base a LIVE DVD (or CD) from,
8 >
9 > Can anyone comment on how good GENTOO LIVE CD is on device detection,
10 > in particular Network cards, USB, and to a lesser extent
11 > graphics/monitors.
12 > If someone, in the know, could compare GENTOO against say SUSE or Knoppix
13 > in that
14 > area, that would be very helpfull.
15 > I produce a LIVE DVD for a company, and SUSE has made a pretty good bases,
16 > but their release cycle is not to quick, and of course GENTOO, a good
17 > thing in this case,
18 > has almost a perpetual release cycle.
19 > In particular, DELL has started selling PC's with no PS2 ports for
20 > keyboards/mice,
21 > and thats taking its toll on distros that were released last year.
22 > So I am contemplating moving to GENTOO, but I can't test the device
23 > recognition
24 > on other then a few machines I have, but when I release it to my target
25 > audience,
26 > it has to work 99.99% across 400+ employees computers, which can be just
27 > about
28 > any computer of recent vintage, including of course brand new Dells with
29 > no ps2 ports.
30 >
31 > -tl
32 > --
33 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
37 "GENTOO" has no problem working with USB keyboard/mice. I used a KVM switch
38 which uses a USB port to hook up both keyboard and mouse (both PS/2) to one
39 PC, and it worked fine. This was, however, with the universal install cd
40 for x86. The HID device support is built-in the kernel, and if you're going
41 to build a live cd from scatch (Gentoo even has instructions on their
42 website on how to do this with their distro), just make sure to compile HID
43 device support into the kernel.
44 --
45 - Mark Shields