From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Aw: Re: Re: Some essential packages fail to compile
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 19:59:17
1 On 08/09/12 17:03, "Roland Häder" wrote:
5 >> I was reading this:
6 >>
7 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cross-compiling-distcc.xml
8 > I also read it far before I wrote my email.
11 >> It specifically mentions you need crossdev:
12 >>
13 >> If you are cross-compiling between different subarchitectures
14 >> for Intel x86 (e.g. i586 and i686), you must still build a full
15 >> cross-toolchain for the desired CHOST, or else the compilation
16 >> will fail.
17 >>
18 >> I suppose any cross compiler might be enough and you don't need
19 >> crossdev. I don't know.
20 > I need to repeat: The other nodes are all running Debian and there is *no* crossdev package. And I wrote in my initial mail, that I was already able to cross-compile other Gentoo packages on these nodes as the parameters -m32 and -march=i686 were *provided* by those packages which seems to be *not* the case with e.g. klibc
21 >
22 > All I want is that the klibc package is honoring the global CFLAGS or else I have to temporary disable distcc (FEATURES variable needs to be commented out) for klibc, emerge klibc and then re-enable distcc to have a great speedup for other packages (that are honoring CFLAGS from make.conf).
23 >
24 > I do that now what I wrote but it is really annoying to cannot leave the compilation unattended. I repeat once more: cross-compiling is possible on my nodes, so there is absolutely no need to setup such "cross-toolchains" because it works.
25
26 I'd say it worked for you by accident (because of multilib). But I
27 doubt this is supposed to actually work that way.