From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to get rid of Python2 (where possible)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 08:27:09
1 Hi,
2
3 would anybody please explain Portage's technique for selecting Python
4 versions for packages
5 from dev-python and similar.
6
7 I'd like to set up things such that Portage installs only the
8 Python-3.{3,4} version unless the
9 packages doesn't support Python-3.x
10
11 Currently I have
12
13 PYTHON_COMPAT="python2_7 python3_3 python3_4"
14 PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 python3_4"
15 # PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7"
16 PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_3"
17
18 in my /etc/portage/make.conf and portage itself is Python3-based.
19 I have to toggle the two PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET lines depending
20 on some packages, e.g., dev-util/eric requires
21 PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_3"
22 which causes other packages not to install.
23
24 I have tried to remove python2_7 from PYTHON_TARGETS but then
25 I cannot re-install portage although it is based on Python3.
26
27 As you can see I am lost?
28
29 Many thanks for shedding some light onto these issues,
30 Helmut