From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mplayer directfb permissions?
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:05:05
1 On Tuesday 26 April 2011 14:34:05 Indi wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:30:02AM +0200, Mick wrote:
3 > > On Monday 25 April 2011 23:38:04 Indi wrote:
4 > > > On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 05:50:01PM +0200, Indi wrote:
5 > > > > ...using the directfb for vo gives
6 > > > > sterling results, with the worst files playing happily in sync just
7 > > > > like I always dreamed -- but only as root!
8 > > > >
9 > > > > Obviously there's a permissions issue somewhere...
10 > > >
11 > > > Oh jeepers, I've made a silly error -- the reason videos were playing
12 > > > so well as root is that root had no .mplayer/config, :)
13 > > > Apparently I just needed to clean up my config file and now it works
14 > > > just fine again with x11 driver. Didn't realize defining a couple of
15 > > > audio and video filters would impact performance that much but
16 > > > apparently it really does, at least with avi and mkv files. Sorry for
17 > > > the noise!
18 > > >
19 > > > For other reasons though it might still be nice to know how to give a
20 > > > user directfb permission.
21 > > >
22 > > > :)
23 > >
24 > > Just an idea.
25 > >
26 > > Not sure if it uses svgalib - in which case setuid it to root before you
27 > > fire it up as a plain user.
28 > >
29 > > Alternatively, run strace as a plain user and see at what point it fails
30 > > to access the files it needs.
31 >
32 > Thanks for the suggestions.
33 > Was going to look into that just now but after updating the system
34 > (and runing revdep-rebuild and python updater and --depclean) the
35 > directfb driver doesn't display properly anymore for some reason.
36 > Everything else seems fine, and videos are playing in sync with the x11
37 > driver and all that. I have a feeling from what Ive read STFW that this
38 > is going to come down to my ATI Mobility 9600 chipset's incomplete kernel
39 > support and may not be practically solvable to the point of being worth
40 > pursuing.
41 >
42 > I may pursue it anyway at some point in the future but for right
43 > now it's been moved to the back burner for a bit.
44
45 Are you running KMS in the kernel and have you emerged x11-drivers/radeon-
46 ucode (not sure if your card needs it) as per:
47
48 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
49 --
50 Regards,