From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Libreoffice and copying web pages
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 22:12:13
1 Howdy,
2
3 As some know, I got a printer.  Now I'm trying to get some info and
4 print it using LOo for the most part.  This is the way I do this.  I go
5 to a web page, sites will vary, and I highlight what I want and copy it
6 to the clipboard.  I then go to LOo and paste it as HTML, since that is
7 what it is.  At that point, LOo fetches things like pics and such to
8 place on the document.  It takes a little time and I avoid copying
9 videos since it can't print a video.  For the most part, this works
10 great.  It takes a minute or so to fetch the pics and such and
11 everything looks fine.  I remove anything I don't want such as ads and
12 such.  Basically, it looks like the web page but I can edit it to make
13 fonts larger etc.  However, sometimes it doesn't work.
14
15 When it doesn't work, this is usually what happens.  I paste the
16 document and LOo gets very slow or doesn't respond at all.  Sometimes it
17 gets to the point I have to literally kill the thing to get it to stop.
18 On the occasions that it is just slow, scrolling up or down to make
19 edits is very slow.  I'm talking I move the mouse wheel and a minute or
20 two later it scrolls up a couple lines.  In a document that is several
21 pages long, it takes forever to scroll to the top after pasting it in.
22 In older versions of LOo it didn't have this problem.  It would copy and
23 paste and even while fetching the pics, it would respond very well and
24 was pretty fast.  The pics sometimes would show up as empty boxes tho
25 until they were fetched.  I would wait until that was done before saving
26 the docs.  About a year or so ago, it started this very slow to
27 downright won't respond thing.
28
29 Is there a LOo guru that has a better idea on how to correct this or how
30 to do this differently so that it responds even while fetching pics and
31 such?  Maybe there is a setting somewhere I can change to make it work
32 better.
33
34 Things I've considered but didn't like the results of.  Selecting what I
35 want to print and printing it as a pdf file or just printing directly
36 without having a copy to edit.  For obvious reasons, that doesn't work
37 well because I sometimes change fonts and sizes for these old eyes.
38 Doing this in LOo makes things better if I can get it working right.
39 I've also tried the print friendly version when available but that
40 removes some things I do want to have, pics mostly.
41
42 Thanks much for the help.
43
44 Dale