From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System Locking Up
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:53:04
1 Peper wrote:
2
3 >My Box sometime locks ups during high load, but it's really strange.
4 >For example emerging ~30 ebuilds in xfce Terminal: after 2h of emerging PC
5 >locked up during kcontrol. After rebooting and again trying to build kcontrol
6 >it locked up 4 times in a row, but compiling it from shell(without running
7 >xorg(xfce)) worked fine.
8 >
9 >I've tested RAM with bootable cd, disk with extended smart tests and got no
10 >errors...
14 I'm no guru here but when I had the some thing happening to me a good
15 while back, I had the wrong chipset selected in my kernel. I ran hdparm
16 -Tt /dev/hd* back to back using the && thing and it locked up after
17 about the third or forth run. It would not respond any more either. I
18 have had to pull the plug, even the power switch wouldn't work. I would
19 push it and hold it for 10 seconds or so and it would still be locked
20 up. Just to make sure, for primary master:
21
22 hdparm -Tt /dev/hda && hdparm -Tt /dev/hda && hdparm -Tt /dev/hda &&
23 hdparm -Tt /dev/hda && hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
24
25 That's the idea. It works the hard drive pretty good.
26
27 Just a thought.
28
29 Dale
30 :-)
33 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list