From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting rid of unwanted languages (Was: Re: gimp help not available, even with USE doc)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 14:20:34
1 On Wed, 20 May 2020 13:53:03 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > > And searching for other language codes irrelevant to me gives
4 > > similar results. I've already thought about adding "-nls" to the
5 > > global USE flags, but I'm fearing to lose "en-GB" that way.
6 >
7 > I see what you mean. I'm just remerging @world with -nls, but it causes
8 > 95 rebuilds, including a lot of kde-frameworks packages, so I've copied
9 > my packages directory in case your fear is borne out. I'll let you know.
10
11 I've run systems without nls in the past and it works well, after all OUR
12 English is a native language ;-)
13
14 Seriously though, nls enables support for different character sets AFAIR.
15
16 I've been running with en-GB for years and haven't had the problems the
17 OP reported. For example, the shadow ebuild only includes the English man
18 page. As a kludge, you can use INSTALL_MASK to block installation of
19 other languages, but finding the cause of this behaviour would be
20 preferable.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Voting Democrat or Republican is like choosing a cabin in the Titanic.