From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] EMERGENCY - GCC GONE!
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 05:54:20
1 Lord Sauron wrote:
2
3 > On 6/1/06, Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I recently changed mine to this:
6 >> > # FEATURES are settings that affect the functionality of portage.
7 >> Most of
8 >> > # these settings are for developer use, but some are available
9 >> to non-
10 >> > # developers as well. 'buildpkg' is an always-on setting for the
11 >> > emerge
12 >> > # flag of the same name. It causes binary packages to be created
13 >> > of all
14 >> > # packages that are merged.
15 >> > FEATURES="buildpkg ccache sandbox"
16 >>
17 >> It sort of helps me in case I screw up. It happens sometimes, usually
18 >> when we least expect it too.
21 > I'll have to look into that. It's options like those that mean I
22 > really need to work more on my distcc toggle command. It's not used
23 > to much other than what I already built into it. I would have made it
24 > more complex, however, I don't know enough bash yet to do that.
25 >
26 >> Glad you got it working.
29 > So am I.
32 >From what I understand, which may be as wrong as it gets, if I use the
33 buildpkg thing, it stores a binary in /usr/portage/packages/All/ and if
34 I really screw up something, like portage, gcc or something like that, I
35 can untar it to / and rescue myself from my evil doing. That is what I
36 understand and have never actually used this "feature" before. I have
37 used the portage rescue before though, twice I might add.
38
39 One thing I can say about Linux and Gentoo, there are tons of options.
40
41 Dale
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list