From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gnome problem (?)
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 19:00:22
1 On 01/15/2011 11:17 PM, Victor Fragoso wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > After upgrading xorg to 1.9 now Gnome is not able to start session. This is the message I get after login in using GDM
5 >
6 > Protocol not supported by server.
7 > xmodmap: unable to open display ':0'
8 > which: no keychain in [PATH]
9 >
10 > *** gnome-session: 32574: WARNING ** cannot open display
11 >
12 > If I run startx, everything works no complaints.
13
14 I don't use gdm so all I can offer is the standard shotgun approach I would
15 use in the same circumstances.
16
17 First, did you run revdep-rebuild after updating? I do that now every time
18 I update the system.
19
20 Second, I would re-emerge gdm. Why? Just because it's easy.
21
22 Third, the amount of gnome configuration data in your home directory is vast,
23 and some of it may be outdated. For that reason I keep another user account
24 on each machine (I call him "tester"). As root, I delete every gnome-related
25 directory in ~/tester so that he can start over from scratch with gnome when
26 he logs in. Amazing how many times that has uncovered errors in my own home
27 directory.
28
29 Oh, actually I would first check your ~/.gnomerc-errors for anything helpful.
30 I find that file is always quite large even when everything seems perfect ;)