From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no sound through headphones (still bad)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 17:45:54
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 11:24:20AM -0400, allan gottlieb wrote:
4 > Hardware: Dell Latitude E7450 laptop
5 >
6 > Gentoo essentially all stable
7 > Gnome / Systemd
8
9 This is basically my setup, but I don't run gnome.
10
11 > When I play a movie using totem it sounds fine if no headphones are
12 > plugged it.
13 >
14 > No sound at all with headphones. I tried a few, one with a microphone
15 > several without.
16
17 USB or 3.5mm jack?
18
19 > The gnome sound settings gui recognizes that the headphones are in but
20 > the sound test is silent. If, with the phones still in, I select the
21 > internal speakers, all sounds well.
22 >
23 > I installed pauvcontrol and selected "Output Devices".
24 > When I selected "Speakers" as the port the volume meter moves around
25 > normally and the sound is fine.
26 > When I selected "Headphones (plugged in)" as the port the volume meter
27 > again moves around normally but there is no sound.
28 >
29 > This laptop dual boots windows. I played the same movie on windows and
30 > sound was normal both with the speakers and the headphones.
31 >
32 > What should I try next?
33
34 What does running `dmesg' output around the time that you plug in and
35 unplug your headphones? Around the time that you start a movie/music?
36
37 What about `lsusb', `lspci', etc?
38
39 Alec