From: Stefan Istvan <stefi@××××××××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no sound when playing flash
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 07:57:24
1 On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 08:09 -0800, Andrei Slavoiu wrote:
2 > --- Stefan Istvan <stefi@××××××××××××.hu> wrote:
3 > > Hello List,
4 > >
5 > > I have two machines with Gentoo Linux installed, and
6 > > one of them I don't
7 > > hear sound when playing flash anims either in
8 > > konqueror or in firefox.
9 > > On the other machine I hear sounds well in flash
10 > > anims. Other
11 > > applications play sound well.
12 > > I don't find any significant differencies between
13 > > the two install, so I
14 > > thought I ask it in this list.
15 > Well, the difference between the flash plugin and most
16 > other programs that play sounds is that it only
17 > supports OSS not alsa or arts. So the problem is that
18 > you either have OSS emulation disabled in the kernel
19 > or the soundcard only supports one stream at a time
20 > and another application is using the soundcard (if you
21 > are using KDE that program is artsd)
22 >
23 > > Where should I search for the solution?
24 > Assuming you are indeed using KDE it can be fixed in
25 > Konqueror by checking the "Use artsdsp..." in the
26 > netscape modules configuration tab in Konquerors
27 > properties.
28 > For a general fix see the alsa documentation on how to
29 > enable dmix for OSS emulation too.
30
31 I've tried to set up the things you suggested, but everything remained
32 the same.
33 I've tried it using blackbox instead of kde, and checked that artsd not
34 running, but sill heard no sound from flash anims, though xmms and
35 mplayer had sound.
36 So I think it is not only kde problem. I also tried it from konqueror
37 and firefox, with the same result.
38
39 Istvan
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list