From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: A pared down kernel config
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 08:24:25
1 On Sunday 06 January 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Erik <sigra@××××.se> writes:
3 > > reader@×××××××.com skrev:
4 > >> Then you are stuck figuring out what on earth a hypervisor is.
5 > >
6 > > Alt+F2
7 > > wp:hypervisor
8 > > ENTER
9 >
10 > Hey thats a pretty neat trick. Now if I wondered if that would be
11 > important since I plan to run a vmware application... I will take
12 > more digging. It mentions vmware but not clear if this is important
13 > to it.
14
15 No, it's not relevant in this case. vmware is a virtualisation app, but
16 doesn't use a hypervisor - it's a regular application with some custom
17 kernel modules. kvm, xen and (I think) qemu do use hypervisors so this
18 feature needs to be in the kernel for them.
19
20 Virtualisation is a vast field covering many many different techniques,
21 each with their own pros and cons. The technique vmware uses makes it
22 very easy to install, use and configure your virtual machine (it's just
23 a bunch of big files), but the performance frankly sucks. At the other
24 extreme you get VServer which runs like a bomb but is tightly tied onto
25 the host machine running it. Somewhere in the middle we have xen and
26 it's simpler cousin kvm - due to hypervisors they give very good
27 performance and are relatively easy to configure and maintain.
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
32 --
33 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list