From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] I guess it is time to update udev from 171-r10 to 197-r8...
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 17:47:11
1 Ok, I sync'd this morning, and now see the warning about udev 171-r10
2 being masked, so I guess it is time..
3
4 I know this was discussed quite a bit a few months ago, but just to
5 refresh my memory...
6
7 My question is, if I am currently running 171-r10 on my server, and I
8 have a separate lvm managed /usr partition, is it now safe to comment
9 out my udev masks and update udev, with a reasonable expectation that
10 doing so won't break my boot ability?
11
12 Also, should I manually fix the blockers:
13
14 > [blocks B ] sys-apps/module-init-tools ("sys-apps/module-init-tools" is blocking sys-apps/kmod-12-r1)
15 > [blocks B ] sys-apps/kmod ("sys-apps/kmod" is blocking sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r2)
16
17 by doing "emerge -C module-init-tools && emerge kmod" *before* upgrading
18 udev? Or does it matter?
19
20 Thanks...