From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg.conf (HDMI vs DVI-D)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 19:15:37
1 On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 2:00 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 >
4 >
5 >> Is the monitor doing overscan on HDMI?
6 >
7 > I'd assume the monitor (HDMI input) is doing the overscan,
8 > since HDMI is suppose to be 'smart'.
9 > That what the link suggested.
10 >
11 >> Is the ATI driver doing underscan on HDMI based on the assumption that
12 >> the monitor will overscan?
13 > NO, it works find with a dvi-d 2 dvi-d cable. The computer is
14 > always dvi-d (to either dvi-d cable 1 or hdmi cable 2)..
15 > so how could ati-driver be doing the hdmi (embedded) protocol?
16 >
17 >> Check if your monitor on-screen menu has overscan settings (or change
18 >> it to "PC Mode" or something, the manufacturers all have different
19 >> terminology). Otherwise if it has no settings you'll have to conitunue
20 >> messing with the ATI drivers instead.
21 >
22 > NO, the only  pc setting is when you use a standard 15 pin
23 > VGA cable and no protocol to adjust scan or scan ratesss....
24 >
25 >
26 > I'm guessing I stuck with xorg.conf machinations.....
27 > (oh boy, here we go again......)
28 >
29 > Ideas?
30
31 I just looked at the manual for this TV online and it looks like it
32 has "Just Scan" mode which could potentially show you the original
33 image by pressing the P.SIZE button on the remote control. So you
34 might want to try again to see if this option does what you need. :)