From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Incompatibility of gentoo 2006
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:20:46
1 Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > The GUI (as for "Gentoo Installer") is not perfect (yet).
5
6 Boy, that's showing some restraint......
7
8 Of my (3) installs using LiveCD 2006.0, all three had to be
9 completed manually, Lots of wasted time using LiveCD 2006.0.
10 This was a result of scant-to-nil documentation explaining
11 what path (i.e. sequence of choices) to follow. So you just
12 have to float around the various 'sequences of choices'. Once
13 I got a bootable kernel out of the liveCD 2006.0, I learned
14 to finish the installation manually. (ugly, real ugly)...
15 On a positive note, the liveCD 2006 does do a pretty good job
16 of hardware discover, selection and driver loading.
17
18 Currently, *in my opinion*, the manual installation process
19 is the only one to use. I have some additional systems to
20 to install, but, I'm waiting for 2006.1, which should be
21 released any day now. [1] will let you track the progress
22 of 2006.1 liveCD release schedule......
23
24 I'd be willing to beta test it, if it were released...
25 ( I'd even promise not to bitch or ask any questions to anyone,
26 if a BETA of livedCD 2006.1) were available, for us commoners.
27
28 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/release/2006.1/2006.1.xml
29
30 ymmv,