From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updates = slow firefox
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 02:10:43
1 >> >> Strangely, now my laptop's brightness adjustment doesn't work via the
2 >> >> keyboard shortcuts.  Any ideas on that?
3 >> >>
4 >> >> - Grant
5 >> >>
6 >> > Please share the beast model :P (or maybe ive missed it).
7 >> > in kernel config You have multiple option for backlight eg. for thinkpad
8 >> > there is extra one in "thinkpad specific acpi" maybe You have something
9 >> > similar for Yours stuff.
10 >>
11 >> It's a Dell Vostro 1320.  The keyboard shortcuts to change brightness
12 >> were working great until I enabled DRM in the kernel.  Can you tell me
13 >> where in the kernel those options can be found, or part of the
14 >> variable name that defines them?
15 >>
16 > Try running xev and punching brightness keys, if you would see
17 > "effects" (some text in terminal) then its OK :P You should change the
18 > Acpi configs (etc/acpi/) or Gnome/KDE/Xfce/... bindings.
19
20 I do see text in xev when pressing the brightness keys.
21
22 > (if You dont know it already)
23 > For acpi config You'll need "event id" try running acpi_listen.
24 > eg. /etc/acpi/events/sleep:
25 > event=ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001004
26 > action=/etc/acpi/actions/sleep.sh
27 >
28 > and into actions you put scripts, try using xbacklight.
29
30 You think I should use xbacklight or similar even though it was
31 working on its own before?
32
33 - Grant
36 > If You wouldn't have any reaction in xev and acpi_listen i check the
37 > option in kernel.