From: Bas Zoutendijk <slzoutendijk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bash scrip prompt after bootstrap
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 17:10:58
1 On Fri 30 Mar 2018 at 10:33:45 -0600, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I'm using a scrip to log-in/boot strap the system over NFS
3 >
4 > -----
5 > #!/bin/sh
6 >
7 > HOST=${0##*/}
8 > HOST=${HOST#*-}
9 > ROOT=/mnt/${HOST}
10 > ...
11 > exec chroot '${ROOT}' /bin/bash -l
12 > ---
13 >
14 > When I'm presented with bash prompt, it is the same as the one I logged
15 > IN from. So to eliminate the confusion I would like to change (add to)
16 > the bash prompt the "HOST' name I log-in to.
17 >
18 > When I log-in I'm presented with: "syscon3 #"
19 > I would like it to be: ROOT+HOST
20 > eg.: syscon3-eden
21
22 To change the prompt you want to set $PS1. For example:
23
24 echo 'export PS1="some string"; exec </dev/tty' | exec chroot $ROOT /bin/bash -i
25
26 This command tells the Bash inside the chroot to first execute
27
28 export PS1="some string"
29
30 and then to continue as a regular log-in shell. The special syntax of
31 the $PS1 string in described in the Bash man page. If you just want to
32 prepend a string, you do not even have to bother with crafting a syntax:
33
34 echo 'export PS1="(chroot '$HOST') $PS1"; exec <dev/tty' | exec chroot $ROOT /bin/bash -i
35
36 Sincerely,
37
38 Bas