From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "/usr/bin/[" and coreutils
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 14:32:10
1 On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 09:59:21 -0400
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > The binaries are usually POSIX-compliant, whereas the builtins may
5 > > include extra bashisms (which tend to break apps expecting just
6 > > the basic POSIX behaviour)
7 >
8 > I haven't encountered POSIX-dependent apps breaking on bash, but I
9 > have encountered the reverse. My most annoying experience was when I
10 > tried building cinelerra on Debian a few years back. Cinelerra's
11 > script started with #!/bin/sh, but depended on bashisms--and I was
12 > running dash.
13
14 So you've also run into clueless devs and maintainers who know
15 almost nothing about shells?
16
17 Your example is an extreme one :-), but it's common enough to find
18 bashisms in scripts with an sh shebang
21 Alan McKinnnon
22 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com