From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: line wrap over in xterm/konsole
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 11:48:29
1 On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 11:16 AM Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding: the apparent bug only
5 > > manifests itself the first time I do the shrinking/restoring stuff,
6 > > after launching a urxvt window. Following tries will show the desired
7 > > behaviour. Can you confirm it doesn't happen in your installation?
8 >
9 > Correct, I do not observe the bug you mention in my installation. I also
10 > tried in fluxbox and the redrawing happens in the same way right from the
11 > start, except fluxbox does not use a compositor, so (re)wrapping is a bit
12 > jerky and shows up half a second after I stopped resizing the window.
13 >
14 > I need to explain I have added urxvtd in my start up:
15 >
16 > if [ -x /usr/bin/urxvtd ]; then
17 > /usr/bin/urxvtd --opendisplay --fork --quiet
18 > fi
21 > so additional terminals launched with '/usr/bin/urxvtc -pe tabbed' reuse the
22 > same single process of the daemon, making them faster and more economical in
23 > resource usage. I assume they inherit some of what's already in memory and
24 > this may be a reason why I don't observe your reported bug - although I can't
25 > recall if I have this running in fluxbox.
28 OK, so I tested with urxvtd --opendisplay --fork --quiet, and, sure
29 enough, the bug doesn't manifest. Even after killing urxvtd, a new
30 instance of urxvt in a new window is bug-free. However, I tried
31 launching another openbox session on a different VT (while keeping the
32 current session), and the bug reappears! In the original session, a
33 new urxvt remains bug-free.
34
35 Curious. (I don't use urxvt, I stopped using it some time ago for
36 reasons I can't remember...)
37
38 Regards,
39