From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the most error resistant filesystem?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 05:26:16
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 > The box will be used as a gateway/firewall for a branch office, so I really
3 > couldn't care less about filesystem performance. But the utility power there
4 > is horrendous, so I need something that can shrug off a catastrophic power
5 > loss, and/or very fast fsck.
6
7 I've lost XFS and JFS filesystems in the past due to their failure to
8 recover after sudden power loss. Ext3/4 have not failed me (yet).
9
10 But my question is, why don't you use a UPS and monitoring software to
11 perform a proper (clean) shutdown when power's off and battery is
12 running low. Some UPS also support automatic power-on once things are
13 normal again, in case this is an unattended box that locals can't be
14 bothered with rebooting themselves.
15
16 I can think of making a complicated system with read-only boot media
17 (cd/dvd/mmc/whatever) which attempts recovery of important data (logs
18 created since last backup) to a spare partition, RAM drive or the
19 Internet, then repartitions & reinstalls itself to the harddrive and
20 restores the recovered data. Optionally downloading updated configs
21 from Internet. (think kiosk distros).