From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] K3b complains about my locale
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 22:31:15
1 On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Daniel Pielmeier <
2 daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Kevin O'Gorman schrieb:
5 >
6 > On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
7 >> wrote:
8 >>
9 >> On Sat, 31 May 2008 07:05:14 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
10 >>>
11 >>> Just to be sure, I re-ran locale-gen just now. It reported two
12 >>>> problems with a Polish locale (that I do not use):
13 >>>>
14 >>> Then remove it from /etc/locale.gen. you can remove the Spanish and
15 >>> French ones too, if you don't use those languages.
16 >>>
17 >>> I did, just as an experiment. It made no difference to the main issue:
18 >>> no
19 >>>
20 >> locale is defined
21 >> for programs started from KDE menus, and K3B is complaining about the
22 >> resulting
23 >> ASCII (1968) definition.
24 >>
25 >> I'd rather that the locale-gen worked, but that's a side issue.
28 > Do you have something like LINGUAS="en" in /etc/make.conf?
31 Yes, it reads
32
33 LINGUAS="en fr de es pl"
34
35 Because while I don't ordinarily use other languages, I have in the past had
36 to edit
37 some i18n files for a web page of mine. See
38 http://hex.kosmanor.com/hex-bin/board,
39 which currently speaks English, Polish and Dutch.
42 > You can try to use the unicode charset [1] in /etc/env.d/02locale, maybe
43 > k3b wants this.
44 >
45 > LANG=en_US.utf8
46 > LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"
49 > I also suggest going through the guide again and read thoroughly, often
50 > there is only a tiny mistake a typo or something which makes things fail.
51 >
52 > Can you tell us the output of:
53 >
54 > locale
55 > locale -a
56 > cat /etc/locale.gen
59 Of course. Included at the bottom.
63 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml
64 >
65 > Veeery Interesting....
66
67 I didn't notice it at first, but the 02locale as suggested is making my Perl
68 scripts issue warnings,
69 including some very simple ones I wrote myself, so it's Perl itself that is
70 complaining.
71
72 perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
73 perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
74 LANGUAGE = (unset),
75 LC_ALL = "en_EN",
76 LANG = "en_EN"
77 are supported and installed on your system.
78 perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
79
80 Anyway, I added .utf8 to the lines in my 02locale file, and it made no
81 difference at all.
82 I don't see utf8 in any of the outputs, and k3b and perl still don't like
83 it.
84
85 The outputs requested (plus my 02locale file) were:
86
87 kevin@treat ~ $ locale
88 locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
89 locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
90 locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
91 LANG=en_EN
92 LC_CTYPE="en_EN"
93 LC_NUMERIC="en_EN"
94 LC_TIME="en_EN"
95 LC_COLLATE="en_EN"
96 LC_MONETARY="en_EN"
97 LC_MESSAGES="en_EN"
98 LC_PAPER="en_EN"
99 LC_NAME="en_EN"
100 LC_ADDRESS="en_EN"
101 LC_TELEPHONE="en_EN"
102 LC_MEASUREMENT="en_EN"
103 LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_EN"
104 LC_ALL=en_EN
105 kevin@treat ~ $ locale -a
106 locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
107 locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
108 locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory
109 C
110 POSIX
111 en_US
112 en_US.utf8
113 es_MX
114 fr_FR
115 fr_FR@euro
116 kevin@treat ~ $ cat /etc/locale.gen
117 # /etc/locale.gen: list all of the locales you want to have on your system
118 #
119 # The format of each line:
120 # <locale> <charmap>
121 #
122 # Where <locale> is a locale located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ and
123 # where <charmap> is a charmap located in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.
124 #
125 # All blank lines and lines starting with # are ignored.
126 #
127 # For the default list of supported combinations, see the file:
128 # /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
129 #
130 # Whenever glibc is emerged, the locales listed here will be automatically
131 # rebuilt for you. After updating this file, you can simply run
132 `locale-gen`
133 # yourself instead of re-emerging glibc.
134
135 en_US ISO-8859-1
136 en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
137 #ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP