From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 15:09:36
1 On 2011/05/14 10:06 (GMT-0400) Willie Wong composed:
2
3 > The above listing shows that phonon will be built with the "vlc" use
4 > flag, so clearly you haven't trimmed USE down to "just"
5 > bash-completion, ncurses, samba, slang, xattr. In fact, if you had
6 > done so you would've also trimmed out cxx, posix, and threads, which
7 > would probably not be the best idea.
8
9 The timestamp on my make.conf(.07) file on display at
10 http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/G/ shows a last written considerably earlier
11 than I last wrote, but ...
12
13 > So for concreteness, can you post the complete USE list, _not_ the
14 > list in /etc/make.conf, since that does not show you the USE enabled
15 > *by default* on whichever profile you have chosen to use. To get the
16
17 Of this I was totally unaware. So now I know I probably should not have
18 selected the kde profile on first try, but instead selected a minimal and
19 only after being happy with the basics changing to kde.
20
21 Does [1] default/linux/x86/10.0 from 'eselect profile list' amount to a
22 "minimal" install (no X)? If so, is there any reason not to switch to it
23 instead of setting -vlc, and then later when actually ready to enable X,
24 switching back to kde?
25
26 What is the [7] hardened/linux/x86 profile, or better yet, the incantation to
27 get descriptions descriptions of all the available targets?
28
29 > list of all USE flags, try
30 > emerge --info
31
32 About 1.6 screens full, including what looks like a bazillion things in USE=.
33 It looks like USE= ends with zlib, and then until the appearance of Unset:,
34 everything in between is appended without any newlines, among them,
35 PHP_TARGETS, GPSD_PROTOCOLS & APACHE2. Yikes!
36 http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/G/emergeinfo1.txt
37
38 > In this particular case, you can consider adding "-vlc" to your USE
39 > and try again.
40 --
41 "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
42 words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)
43
44 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!
45
46 Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/