From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BIND Configuration for DNS
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 19:28:44
1 On 1/14/22 8:45 AM, Raphael Mejias Dias wrote:
2 > Hello,
3
4 Hi,
5
6 > I'm trying to configure BIND for a local DNS server, but I'm not sure
7 > that it's ok.
8
9 Based on your other comments, it seems as if there is more of a question
10 about overall DNS configuration and operation than about the BIND DNS
11 server (named) itself.
12
13 > Basically, I'm wanting to create an internal address like
14 > intranet.local,
15
16 Okay.
17
18 > this way, I can change the internal IP address, without the obligation
19 > to reconfigure the client machines to lookup the new IP, only changing
20 > the DNS lookup table.
21
22 It sounds like you might be referring to updating DNS vs updating the
23 hosts file.
24
25 > First, I had followed the Gentoo Wiki and after I tried BIND official
26 > documentation.
27
28 ACK
29
30 > I've realized the network PC's did not find the DNS address, only the
31 > localhost can find it,
32
33 I'm assuming that means the server running BIND (named).
34
35 > when I force the DNS, the client PC cannot access the internet anymore.
36
37 I'm assuming that means that BIND (named) is working and doing what you
38 want with regard to the local / internal domain name.
39
40 With these assumptions, it seems to me like BIND (named) is working and
41 that it is likely not configured to allow clients to perform recursive
42 queries.
43
44 Assuming this is the case, you need to change the allow-recursion
45 parameter to allow the LAN clients to perform recursive queries.
46
47 This is predicated on the system BIND (named) is running on being able
48 to access the internet to query external resources on behalf of the LAN
49 clients.
50
51 > If someone knows a guide to help, I'll be glad to know.
52
53 Please reply if any of my assumptions are wrong or if you have other
54 questions.
55
56 > Thanks.
57