From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 10:17:52
1 On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:45:15 +0100, Mick wrote:
4 >
5 > > > emerge zfs works too :)
6 > > >
7 > > > I really like the way ZFS just lets you get on with things.
8 > >
9 > > Does anyone run it on a desktop/laptop as their day to day fs?
10 >
11 > Yes.
12 >
13 > > Any
14 > > drawbacks or gotchas? Other than reliability, how does it perform
15 > > compared say to ext4?
16 >
17 > I haven't benchmarked it. It feels as if it may be a little slower on my
18 > desktop with spinning disks, but that may be down to other factors, like
19 > impatience. It flies on my laptop's SSD.
22 Additional note:
23
24 *Of course* it will be slower than ext*, because during every read it
25 ensures that the block being read has a proper checksum.
26
27 Likewise on writes.
28
29 But that IMO is very worth it just for the additional peace-of-mind,
30 knowing you will never ever have a silent corruption.
34 FdS Pandu E Poluan
35 * ~ IT Optimizer ~**
36 *
37 • LOPSA Member #15248