From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 07:52:59
1 On Thu, 2 April 2015, at 4:37 pm, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I prefer it this way. I do not want all the nice easy-to read/edit
4 > configuration stuff in /etc/portage encrypted some Windows Registry
5 > break-alike.
6
7 What's bad about the Windows registry is that its proprietary file format is both poorly constructed (or, rather "lacking design") and obscure, and its reputation was for brittleness was built when it was stored on FAT file systems and corrupted when Windows crashed and had to be hard rebooted.
8
9 If you want to store a lot of stuff, then databases are a valid solution. If there's something wrong with sqlite or BerkeleyDB then argue against them, but don't base your objections on a strawman.
10
11 Stroller.