From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xz memory hungry?
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 08:39:34
1 On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Well, I found the problem: ulimit problem. Not the first time this crap bites
5 >> me, but I always forget. I just wish this was better documented, somewhere.
6 >
7 > I tried to use ulimit to change stack size system-wide once, to reduce
8 > RAM usage on 256M box, and it resulted in strange problems like this.
9 > I changed it back to default and leave it alone since then except for
10 > specific services because I don't fully understand the magic that
11 > happens inside the box. :)
12 >
13 Last time I had a problem like this I spent a lot of time googling about
14 ulimit/setting_limits/etc and found _nothing_ worth mentioning. This time I
15 run "ulimit -v unlimited", but the question is who put the former values
16 there? Some hard-coded default? I couldn't find anything in init scripts nor
17 in bash rc files. I know that on logout the value is lost (I had to run ulimit
18 again on chrooting). What is the appropriate file to put "ulimit -v unlimited"
19 in? Perhaps ~/.bash_profile? And how can root set different hard limits for
20 different users? Maybe some bash guru will step in?:)
21
22 J.A.