From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] cannot boot system whose root is zfs
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 01:54:49
1 Hi. Using dracut and systemd I am having a terrible time trying to boot
2 a system whose root file system is zfs, along with some other datasets I
3 have created in the pool. the zfs module does load, but it cannot find
4 the pool. It gets to the sysroot.mount service and dies. I think the
5 problem seems to have something to do with how I specify the root
6 parameter in the kernel command line. The pool has a dataset called
7 root with the bootfs parameter. I tried specifying root=rpool/root
8 rootfstype=zfs, but no joy. I also tried root=ZFS=rpool/root but that
9 didn't work either. I also tried root=ZFS:rpool/root but that didn't
10 work either. I found those possibilities on the net, at least two of
11 them inthe various gentoo wikis.
12
13 Also, I want to be sure I am using the correct ffstab entry -- I have
14 rpool/root / zfs defaults 0 0
15 and similar.
16
17 At the point where it dies, dracut has not imported the pool and
18 importing and mounting it works, but the boot will not continue.
19
20 I am using kernel 4.1.15 and 6.5.3 zfs components.
21
22 Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
28 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
29 How do
30 you spend it?
31
32 John Covici