From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop dual-boot rebuild - disk partition questions
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 19:45:41
1 On Friday 02 May 2008, Sandro Hannemann wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On linux-2.6.25 NTFS write support is finally stable...
5 >
6 > CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y
7 > CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y
8 >
9 > No need to go FAT anymore...
10
11 Not quite.
12
13 It's not ntfs-ng, it's the same old ntfs write support that's been there
14 for ages, and it's *partial* write support. From fs/Kconfig line 836:
17 config NTFS_RW
18 bool "NTFS write support"
19 depends on NTFS_FS
20 help
21 This enables the partial, but safe, write support in the NTFS
22 driver.
23
24 The only supported operation is overwriting existing files,
25 without
26 changing the file length. No file or directory creation,
27 deletion or
28 renaming is possible. Note only non-resident files can be
29 written to
30 so you may find that some very small files (<500 bytes or so)
31 cannot
32 be written to.
33
34 While we cannot guarantee that it will not damage any data, we
35 have
36 so far not received a single report where the driver would
37 have
38 damaged someones data so we assume it is perfectly safe to
39 use.
40
41 Note: While write support is safe in this version (a rewrite
42 from
43 scratch of the NTFS support), it should be noted that the old
44 NTFS
45 write support, included in Linux 2.5.10 and before (since
46 1997),
47 is not safe.
53 Alan McKinnon
54 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com