From: Bill Roberts <billbalt@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cyrus-sasl, courier-authlib, which one? or both?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:39:08
1 On 16:10 Wed 11 Jan , Bill Roberts wrote:
2 > I am currently running my email server on my workstation, providing email
3 > for myself and my wife. I use mutt, my wife uses outlook.
4 >
5 > I basically used the virtual email server guide, it has run ok for two years,
6 > but my wife suddenly cannot access her email. The issue seems to be the
7 > pop3 server, not listening on port 110.
8 >
9 > I've decided to move the mail server to my router/firewall/proxy server.
10 > That will allow me to play harder on my workstation, without fear of
11 > disrupting email. Question is: How?
12 >
13 > I am planning on building a simpler email system (I don't use imap,
14 > virtual domains, or a user database). In my quest for Zen-like simplicity
15 > and rock-solid quality, I'm planning on using postfix, plus courier as a
16 > pop3 server. For authentication, some guides use sasl, some use authlib.
17 > Which is better?? And why would anyone use both?! They seem to both serve
18 > the same function. Any suggestions/pointer appreciated.
19 >
20 > Bill Roberts
21
22 Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to try the simplest guide I could
23 find:
24
25 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Small_Email_Server_with_Postfix_with_POP3_(TLS)
26
27 It uses only postfix and courier-imap (which brings in courier-authlib). No
28 cyrus-sasl.
29
30 The only issue I ran into was the creation of a user with a /bin/false
31 shell. That kept me from being able to log in with pop3 and retrieve mail.
32 Changing the shell to /bin/bash solved the problem.
33
34 Now I have to figure out how to redirect the stream of email, retrieve from
35 the router, rather than locally, and add anti-virus/anti-spam. I'll
36 probably use the mailfilter guide:
37
38 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mailfilter-guide.xml
39
40 By the way, I would recommend these two guides for anyone setting up an
41 email server for the first time. They may not be perfect, but they are much
42 easier to follow than most of the howto's I've run into.
43
44 Bill Roberts