From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage getting mixed up with USE?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:57:40
1 On Wednesday 22 June 2011 11:43:20 Neil Bothwick did opine thusly:
2 > On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:53:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > > As Daniel said, this is what portage needs, it's been that
4 > > > way since the autounmask stuff was introduced.
5 > >
6 > > In other words, we must now all end up with giganticly bloated
7 > > package.use files to satisfy every "built with use" requirement
8 > > system-wide? What's wrong with looking at the defaults and
9 > > saying
10 > > "Gee, you know what, the implicit rules on the box are going to
11 > > do the right thing anyway, so let's proceed and build the
12 > > stuff?"
13 >
14 > Are you saying the fltk is/would be built with -cairo anyway and the
15 > recommended addition changes nothing? That sounds extremely
16 > undesirable as it would make maintaining package.use much harder.
17
18 Ah, hang on a sec. It's not quite what I thought.
19
20 The original emerge command done again, plus just fltk on it's own:
23 # USE="dillo" emerge -pv claws-mail
24 ...
25 Calculating dependencies... done!
26 [ebuild N ] net-libs/libetpan-1.0 USE="berkdb gnutls sasl ssl -
27 debug -ipv6 -liblockfile" 0 kB
28 [ebuild N ] x11-libs/fltk-2.0_pre6970-r1 USE="jpeg opengl png
29 xft xinerama zlib -cairo -debug -doc" 0 kB
30 [ebuild N ] www-client/dillo-2.2 USE="gif jpeg png ssl -doc -
31 ipv6" 0 kB
32 [ebuild R ] mail-client/claws-mail-3.7.9-r1 USE="crypt dbus
33 dillo* gnutls imap ldap session spell ssl startup-notification -
34 bogofilter -doc -ipv6 -nntp -pda -smime -spamassassin -xface" 0 kB
37 # emerge -pv fltk
38 ...
39 Calculating dependencies... done!
40 [ebuild N ] x11-libs/fltk-2.0_pre6970-r1 USE="cairo jpeg opengl
41 png xft xinerama zlib -debug -doc" 0 kB
45 The first and second are very different.
46
47 > I was under the impression portage only did this if the USE flags
48 > for a package needed to be changed from the current settings.
49
50 Now it appears that emerge output (at least in the case of an
51 unsatisfied emerge) is "what portage *needs* to do" instead of "what
52 it *will* do"
53
54 Portage has always displayed the latter right? That makes sense - you
55 can see what the emerge command would do as entered and compare it to
56 the error to see what the problem is. In this case it's a tweak to
57 package.use which I'm perfectly happy to do.
58
59 I think it's bug time, portage is displaying the wrong output for
60 failures.
64 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com