From: "Remco Rijnders" <remco@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is faster: amd64 or x86?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 11:42:11
1 On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 07:46:36PM -0400, Jack wrote in
2 <46fdde47-4437-5aa4-926d-e42aaed8ed03@×××××××××××××××××.net>:
3 >>On Mon, Aug 10, 2020, at 1:19 PM, Никита Степанов wrote:
4 >>>What is faster: amd64 or x86?
5 >
6 >Nikita, what are you really asking about? Or, are you just looking to
7 >stir the pot?
8
9 I think the intended or underlying question was: Should I use the x86
10 or amd64 boot media to install Gentoo on my system?
11
12 And I think the appropiate answer almost always is amd64 if the system
13 supports it. I can see exceptions on severely memory constrained
14 systems or if you need to mainly run software that can only run in 32
15 bit, but both seem rather uncommon to me.