From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question re: make.conf/profile location change
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 16:19:45
1 On 11/08/2013 17:58, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Was reviewing older news items and was wondering about this one:
5 >
6 > "# eselect news read 12
7 > 2012-09-09-make.conf-and-make.profile-move
8 > Title make.conf and make.profile move
9 > Author Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
10 > Posted 2012-09-09
11 > Revision 1
12 >
13 > Starting next week, new stages will have make.conf and make.profile
14 > moved from /etc to /etc/portage. This is a change in the installation
15 > defaults, that will only affect new installs so it doesn't affect
16 > current systems.
17 >
18 > Current users don't need to do anything. But if you want to follow the
19 > preferred location, you may want to take the chance to move the files
20 > in your system(s) to the new location."
21 >
22 > My question is, what if they are in both locations? Which ones are used?
23 > I would assume that portage now looks first in /etc/portage and uses
24 > those if it finds them, and if not, looks in /etc - but the news item is
25 > incomplete on this question.
29 My question is why do you have files in both locations?
30
31 /etc is the old location, /etc/portage is the new location, so simply
32 delete the one you do not want.
33
34 It's easy enough to determine for yourself which one has higher
35 priority. Make the files differ in some way that causes an easy to
36 detect change in emerge output. Move the file out of the way one by one
37 and run energe world. Then you will have the answer to your question.
40 Alan McKinnon
41 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com