From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where's the splash?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:20:48
1 Holly Bostick schreef:
2 > So why, when my grub.conf says
3 >
4 > kernel /vmlinuz ro quiet root=/dev/hda5
5 > video=vesafb-tng:ywrap,mtrr,1280x1024-32@60
6 > splash=verbose,fadein,theme:livecd-2005.1 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
7 >
8 > clearly specifying more than 8bpp as instructed, is the splash failing
9 > to load because no 8bpp picture is specified in the theme file (which if
10 > it had to be specified in the theme file, surely it would have been, but
11 > it's not, so presumably it doesn't have to be), and therefore fails to
12 > find the silent or verbose image?
13 >
14 > Logically, this must mean that my console is 8bpp??? That's the only
15 > reason that it would be looking for the 8bpp picture. Why is my console
16 > 8bpp, when the message is being displayed on a 1280x1024 framebuffer
17 > meaning that the framebuffer is loaded.... oh, shit. Shit, shit,
18 > shit.... Sorry.
19 >
20 > I think I got it.
21 >
22 > I have vesafb-tng specified in the kernel as so:
23 >
24 > 1280x1024@60
25 >
26 > but it should be
27 >
28 > 1280x1024-32@60, shouldn't it? Or else the stupid framebuffer defaults
29 > to 8bpp or something, doesn't it?
30 >
31 > Just changed my kernel config, recompiling. I'll let you know how it goes.
32 >
33 > That really might be it. Damn, I feel stupid, but it's not like any of
34 > these bloody instructions remind you to set the %$#^&*$% bit depth in
35 > your kernel vesafb-tng setting, either.
36
37 Yes, that was it. The splash now works. So for all of you following this
38 thread, first check that your preferred bit depth is specified in the
39 vesafb-tng default setting in the kernel, and if it is not, specify it.
40
41 Thank you all very much for all your help; Uwe, won't be needing to send
42 that tar.gz to you after all, but thanks for the offer.
43
44 See you all later; I'm off to figure out how to make a matching GDM
45 theme, and get rid of that smearing in the GRUB theme. After which, I'll
46 maybe update the Wiki, if somebody doesn't do it first.
47
48 Toodle-oo,
49 Holly
50 --