From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running HTTP and DNS on same machine
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 00:37:14
1 Adding to success stories:
2
3 I've deployed bind-9 on FreeBSD, Debian, and Arch. The most trouble
4 was with Debian, what with the 'compositing trees' etc. The easiest
5 was with FreeBSD. All three DNS servers are now in their eighth month
6 of production, handling half of my company's NS needs.
7
8 It's really not difficult. Complex, yes, but not difficult. With the
9 help of http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns and the handbooks, I finished
10 the FreeBSD and Arch installations in one day. (The Debian took
11 another day of hair-pulling to understand HTF they put their
12 compositing files together).
13
14 One tip from me would be to prepare the DNS servers beforehand, test
15 them, *then* ask the registrar to transfer the domain name to you.
16 Like others have posted, most will require you to provide at least two
17 authoritative NS.
18
19 In my situation, I have 1 server in the cloud, and 2 servers in the
20 company (responding to DNS requests via 2 different ISPs).
21
22 That said, I might be installing a different NS for the 4th NS for
23 diversity (i.e., prevent a single attack from disabling all 4 NS
24 servers).
25
26 Rgds,